Who is Liable for My Florida Parking Lot Accident?Tampa Bay Legal News
When people think of car accidents, collisions between two or more vehicles on a public road are what most likely comes to mind. However, accidents are just as likely to take place on private property, including parking garages and parking lots. These accidents are very common and happen when pedestrians and drivers do not pay attention to their surroundings. Drivers are often distracted while trying to find a parking spot, and pedestrians can easily become preoccupied in their search for a specific restaurant or retailer.
Determining Liability in a Parking Lot Accident
Establishing fault for a parking lot accident is often challenging given that the rules on private property are different and are not as commonplace as the rules that govern public roadways, although they are very similar. Traffic laws for establishing fault on private property include:
- Drivers pulling out of a parking spot are required to yield to all traffic in all directions
- If any occupant of a vehicle opens their car door and hits another vehicle, they are liable for the damage
- If a driver crashes into a legally parked vehicle, they are naturally at fault. However, should the stationary car be parked illegally, its driver could possibly be found at fault
- Vehicles in a lane that leads to a highway or other road have the right-of-way over vehicles driving in parking lots rows
- Drivers are required to obey all traffic signals and signs, regardless of whether they are on private property or a public roadway.
Property Owner Liability
The property owner can also be held accountable for accidents that happen on their property. If the parking garage or parking lot was poorly maintained or designed, and if this lack of proper maintenance or design played a role in your car accident, the property owner could be responsible for your injuries. If construction in a parking garage causes blind spots, or if parking lot lanes are too narrow, again, the property owner could be liable.
Parking Garage Accident Attorney in Tampa
Our Tampa personal injury attorneys are well-informed on all state laws and are able to determine which of these options is available to you for your crash-related injuries.
Being involved in an injury accident will probably cause you to consider what legal rights you have and how you can obtain the financial compensation you deserve for hospital bills, missed income, and other financial damages.
At Fulgencio Law, we have obtained millions in financial compensation for victims across Florida. We firmly urge you to speak with one of our experienced attorneys about your Florida car accident claim to find out how we can help you.
Your initial consultation with our team is free and non-committal. Reach out to our Tampa personal injury attorneys at (813) 463-0123 to schedule an appointment. If you decide you would like for us to represent you, we have no upfront fees and you pay nothing for our legal services if we do not obtain compensation for your damages