The Advantages and Disadvantages of PIP Coverage in FloridaTampa Bay Legal News
Every state has its own fault laws when it comes to determining how to compensate victims that were injured as a result of the negligence of others. In Florida, the state follows a no-fault insurance system. In this way, Personal Injury Protection coverage (PIP) is a type of automobile insurance that can help individuals injured in car accidents have some amount of money that can be used to pay for medical treatment. As such, the victim does not have to wait to get access to the coverage, after an accident the victim can go to their doctor or an emergency room, secure treatment, and have the funds to pay for it. Also, because the state follows that no-fault system, getting medical costs to be covered by PIP is not something that requires the establishment of fault.
The minimum amount of PIP coverage in Florida is $10,000. Your PIP coverage may be enough in some instances, to cover your medical expenses which could keep you from having to take legal action by filing a claim for that money. For those individuals that have catastrophic damages, though, PIP coverage may be insufficient to pay for all medical expenses needed. It is essential in these instances to speak to a Florida car accident attorney about what options are available to obtain the full amount of compensation necessary to recover one’s losses.
What Are the Benefits and Limitations of PIP Coverage in Florida?
Florida drivers must have PIP coverage to lawfully drive in the state. PIP has its benefits and it also has its limitations. Here are the benefits of PIP:
- Money is available without a waiting period for medical expenses.
- Drivers who are responsible for causing their accident and have fault can still use their PIP coverage for medical treatment they need after a crash.
- PIP could reduce the need to file an injury claim and go through the courts.
- PIP coverage reducing personal injury cases could allow for less expensive insurance costs.
The limitations of PIP coverage are as follows:
- The rights that victims of injury accidents have is limited with respect to securing compensation from another party.
- Not all medical services are covered. Certain types of medical treatment like acupuncture, for instance, are not.
- Fraudulent claims for compensation are a problem.
- Being compensated for non-physical damages, or non-economic damages is much more difficult. This means that anxiety, pain and suffering, stress, and other types of harm can be challenging to recover compensation.
Speak with a Tampa Car Accident Attorney Today
In the aftermath of a car accident, the amount of stress you have to go through in figuring out how you will pay for your losses and get the treatment you need for your injuries so you can recover is likely at an all-time high. Obtaining the full amount of compensation that you need after your Florida car accident can be trying and complicated. It is best that you have the most experienced and knowledgeable legal counsel on your side helping you through each step of the process. Call the Tampa car accident lawyers at Fulgencio Law today to schedule a free consultation at (813) 463-0123.