Florida Motorcycle Accident StatisticsTampa Bay Legal News
Most motorcycle accidents include at least one other vehicle. Even when motorcyclists do everything by the book, other cars and trucks on the road present a pretty big threat to a rider’s safety. Unfortunately, the majority of people behind the wheels of larger vehicles are not considering their actions in relation to the safety and well-being of motorcycle riders.
Single-motorcycle accidents, accidents where just one motorcycle was involved, happen much less often but still account for approximately 43% of all motorcycle-involved accidents. These accidents usually stem from driving recklessly, speeding, or intoxicated drivers under the influence of alcohol and/or drugs.
Listed below are some statistics and facts concerning the seriousness of Florida motorcycle accidents.
Motorcycle Crash Facts
- Almost three-quarters of all motorcycle accidents are head-on collisions
- Car and motorcycle accidents combined are the number one source of spinal cord injuries. They account for almost half of all spinal cord injuries in a single year
- Approximately 80% of all motorcycle-involved accidents end in critical injuries or fatalities
- Throughout the United States, in 2018, an estimated 82,000 motorcycle riders sustained some degree of injury
- Motorcycle-involved collisions make up 11% of all traffic accidents nationwide
- In accidents where drug and/or alcohol use was cited as a factor, 90% of riders sustained injuries compared to just 34% of enclosed vehicle crashes
Yearly Motorcycle Fatalities
Whenever a motorcycle-involved accident takes place, the likelihood of being thrown from the vehicle is significantly higher, and traumatic brain injuries are a greater possibility. This is the primary factor that leads to serious injuries and fatalities being much more commonplace in motorcycle accidents than any other kind of vehicle collision.
- In the United States, in 2018, almost 5,000 bikers were killed in accidents nationwide
- Mississippi is the state with the highest rate of fatal motorcycle crashes. Texas has the second-highest rate, and South Carolina is third
- Severe head injuries are the leading cause of fatalities in motorcycle accidents
- Motorcyclists account for only 3% of tall registered vehicles, but they make up 14% of all vehicular fatalities.
- Motorcyclists who are older than 40 years of age make up the largest percentage of fatal bike accidents in the country
As with every kind of personal injury case, the endless number of variables makes your claim unique. Someone with a case that sounds very similar to yours could end up with a very different outcome than what you should expect. This is just one of the many reasons why hiring a skilled attorney is beneficial to your Florida personal injury claim.
Your attorney will know the most thorough and efficient way of collecting vital evidence that proves you were not at fault for the accident. Establishing this fact is essential to the success of your Tampa personal injury case.
If you have sustained injuries during any kind of accident that was caused by another person’s negligence or carelessness, there is evidence out there that will substantiate your claim. A reputable personal injury attorney from Fulgencio Law will be able to help you. Call us at (813) 463-0123 to schedule your free Tampa personal injury consultation today.