Slip and Fall Accident PreventionTampa Bay Legal News
Any location can have perils that cause a person to slip, trip, and fall. A fall accident is much more than an embarrassing predicament, it can inflict significant bodily harm. For some, the injuries that a fall accident produces could be life-threatening. Head injuries and brain damage, broken bones, lacerations, and sprains, are just a sampling of the many injuries that fall accidents can cause. When there is a hazard or obstacle on a property which causes a fall accident, the property owner could be liable for the resulting damages.
After a slip and fall accident, you may be unsure if your experience rises to the level of filing a claim for compensation. It is quite common for fall victims to not only be unaware of their rights but to also believe that they are responsible for the aftermath of such an incident. In some cases, this may be so but in others, it is not. Property owners who are negligent with the maintenance and upkeep of their property may be culpable for fall accidents that take place on their premises.
For more information on filing a claim for compensation after a fall accident in Florida, the Tampa premise liability lawyers at Fulgencio Law can meet with you to discuss and review your accident experience.
How to Avoid a Fall Accident
There are several slip and fall situations that result in severe bodily harm that could have been prevented from happening. Certain actions and steps can go a long way towards improved safety that minimizes the risk of a fall accident occurring. These include:
- Seniors and smaller children are the demographics with the highest risk of having a fall accident. For this reason, keeping a closer eye on these individuals and offering extra assistance, especially with stairs and uneven ground, can help them navigate their surroundings much better.
- Exercising and keeping your body in the best shape possible can keep you strong and better able to be mobile on almost any surface with a lesser likelihood of falling.
- Be aware of the medications that you are taking. Some can cause dizziness and drowsiness which could make you unstable on your feet.
- Choosing footwear that is durable and sturdy can make walking much easier.
- Use handrails when climbing stairs.
- Make sure to turn on lights so your visibility is improved when you move around.
- Be alert to your surroundings to identify any potential hazards that are present.
Speak with a Florida Premise Liability Attorney Today
A fall accident that doesn’t happen is the best scenario and while there are things you can do to reduce your risk of an accident, you cannot completely eliminate it. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention indicates that one out of five fall incidents results in considerable injuries like head trauma or broken bones. The World Health Organization describes falls as the second leading cause of deadly injury incidents that are reported around the world.
If you slipped and fell and hurt yourself or if you lost a loved one after a slip and fall event, call the Tampa premise liability attorneys at Fulgencio Law to schedule a free consultation to discuss your case at (813) 463-0123.